Many states are beginning to decriminalize marijuana use, but not the state of Texas. Here, the laws are still very strict regarding any kind of drug possession, including marijuana. Even minor possession of marijuana, under two ounces, can put you in jail for up to 180 days, and you could be fined up to $4,000.
If you've been charged with marijuana possession and you think it's no big deal, think again. That drug conviction will go on your criminal record, and it could have a lasting impact on your life. The best choice when facing a marijuana charge is to call an attorney from our office. We are highly experienced with Texas marijuana cases.
Major Elements of Marijuana Charges in Texas
The main distinctions when charged with drug crimes are how much you were in possession of at the time and whether you were in possession with an intent to sell. The seriousness of the charges increases with the amount possessed:
- Marijuana possession under two ounces is a Class B misdemeanor.
- Between two and four ounces is a Class A misdemeanor.
- Between four ounces and five pounds is a state jail felony.
- Marijuana possession over five pounds but less than fifty is a third-degree felony punished by state jail and fine.
- Marijuana possession over fifty pounds but less than 2000 pounds is a second-degree felony.
- Possession of over 2,000 pounds is punishable by between five and ninety-nine years in prison or life.
The penalties for marijuana-related convictions range widely from no prison at all to life behind bars. And fines can range from a couple hundred dollars to $50,000. Rather than risk misunderstanding your charges and facing extreme punishments, work with an experienced attorney.
Call a Texas Marijuana Charge Attorney
Even what seem like minor drug charges can come back to haunt you later, especially if you're convicted. That one mistake can cast a long shadow over the rest of your life. Don't ruin your future by trying to fight marijuana charges on your own.
Call our on-call attorney now to discuss your case now.
No matter how complex your charges may seem, you can have peace of mind knowing our legal team is behind you. You aren’t in this battle alone. Get our Austin criminal attorneys on your side today.